BE DEVELOPED. BE FULFILLED. BE REWARDED.
You Are Never Alone. LEAD provides a supportive community and team environment.
You Can Fulfill Your Purpose. LEAD changes students’ lives through our teaching.
You Will Be Rewarded. LEAD benefits outweigh the competition.
LEAD Benefits Outweigh the Competition
Teachers & Staff
We change students’ lives through our teaching.
Our academic results are proof that our model is working.
What our teachers have to say...
“It is my hope that all students leave us with the tools necessary to advocate both for their right to a quality education and for social change. I LEAD to help guide those who will make an impact in the future.”
Dominique Torres, Principal, LEAD Neely’s Bend
“Watching them transform ‘I can’t’ into ‘I can’ are some of the most satisfying moments of my teaching career. I am fortunate to see these moments occur quite often.”
Roy Word, Social Studies, LEAD Southeast High School
“I love working in a collaborative and student-centered environment in which joy is a prioritized part of school culture!”
Lauren Burgan, Counselor, LEAD Southeast Middle School
“ You’re not just one person in a school building, instead you’re one piece of this greater network serving a really large community of families across the city of Nashville. And these people are bought in.“
Regina Schumacher, Director of Student Supports, LEAD Cameron
“I love working for LEAD because of the strong sense of community. Some days are hard, but having support from my other teachers makes it a bit easier. Everything we do, we do for our students. I believe we all have that same mindset and that brings me joy knowing I’m a part of a team that cares!”
Brandon Corlew, Education Assistant, LEAD Brick Church
“LEAD is constantly asking us for ways that they can improve. They’re focused on developing the careers of educators. We’re always persisting in rigor and growth.”
Shaun Davis, English Teacher, LEAD Cameron
“The passion and commitment from administration can only happen here. I wanted to build rockets. We were bought rockets. I dreamed that we should build a High Altitude Balloon and go to near space. I wasn’t shut down. The administration is committed to finding the passion of their students and their teachers.”
Malorie Crafton, Director of Science, LEAD Southeast High
You Are Never Alone. LEAD Provides a Supportive Community and Team Environment.
- We have a culture of coaching.
- Teachers meet with their instructional managers at least twice a month to go over instructional practice and delivery, unit and lesson plans, and to review data.
- There are a variety of opportunities for growth at LEAD- content leaders of professional learning communities, grade level chairs, instructional coaches, and leadership are some of the options.
- We celebrate successes and recognize individual and team results.
Our work is mission-focused and vision-aligned.
- We prepare every student to be Ready for College, Ready for Life.
- We graduate students at a higher rate than the district and state average.
- 71% of our students are enrolling in college right out of high school – compared to only 53% of the district and 58% of the state high school grads.
- We’re getting these results with our students coming to us 2-3 grade levels behind their peers.
- 75% of our students are considered economically disadvantaged.
- Our students come from 38 different countries and speak 27 different languages.
Frequently Asked Questions
LEAD Public Schools accepts applications online. Please click on any of the Apply Now buttons to access our online application.
LEAD Public Schools is committed to screening applications in a timely manner. You should expect a determination regarding your application meeting the minimum requirements for the position within seven business days.
Our selection process helps us determine if you’re the right fit for LEAD Public Schools and helps you determine if LEAD Public Schools is the right fit for you. As a candidate, here’s what you can expect:
- Step 1: Application Review
- We review your resume and cover letter thoroughly to determine whether your qualifications are a strong match. As we get hundreds of applications annually for all of our positions, we do not have the capacity to reach out to each candidate that applies and we are unable to accept phone calls regarding application status. We will contact you only if you are invited to advance in the selection process.
- Step 2: Phone Interview
- If you are invited to advance in the selection process you will likely be asked to participate in a phone interview. This helps us get to know you better by finding out about your interests and experience.
- Step 3: Interviews and Demonstration Lesson
- If you are invited to move forward after completing the phone interview, the next step will be an in person interview. Local candidates will be asked to visit the school site and teach a demonstration lesson. Out-of-town candidates will be asked to submit a recorded lesson of their teaching or the HR team will help to plan your visit to Nashville to interview in person.
- Step 4: References
- Before extending an offer, LEAD Public Schools will request and contact professional references.
These steps represent a typical process, but your experience may vary. Our hiring team thoughtfully designs each hiring process to be as efficient as possible given the specific circumstances of the vacancy.
The following are the minimum requirements to teach within our district:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Applicants for a teaching role must hold a valid Tennessee teacher license or an active teaching license from another state with reciprocity and the license must be transferred to a valid Tennessee teacher license within 90 days of employment. Out-of-state applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for a Tennessee license as soon as possible due to the length of time it could take the state of Tennessee to process your license.
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Must pass a criminal background check
Interested candidates who are completing an education preparation program (EPP) and are eligible for a license at the conclusion of that program, including passed Praxis exams, are encouraged to apply.
I previously applied for a position with LEAD Public Schools and was not selected. Should I reapply?
Please note you do not need to reapply for the same position. However, it is important to log-in to our applicant tracking system and ensure your information, specifically employment history and resume, is current in the event our principals and/or recruiter views your employment application when a vacancy comes open.
Am I required to submit to a criminal background check (CBC) and fingerprinting before I begin my employment?
LEAD Public Schools complies with state law in ensuring all staff members have a cleared background check and fingerprinting prior to working at LEAD. Employees must be cleared prior to working at LEAD. The cost is the responsibility of the employee are due at the time of scheduling your background check. Therefore, please do not schedule a background check until advised to do so by the LEAD HR Department. In accordance with state law, employees will be periodically rescreened.
To register for a CBC, please visit: http://www.identogo.com/. You will need an identifying code (ORI number) specific to LEAD Public Schools in order to schedule your CBC. LEAD’s ORI is TNCC19213.
Your first correspondence from our district will be an offer letter to confirm the job offer. Next, our HR team will send you a “Welcome to LEAD Public Schools” email with all of the hiring steps including information about the criminal background check.
It is important that you meet with the HR team to attend new hire orientation within the first three days of employment.
Currently, LEAD Public Schools is in partnership with Kelly Services for our substitute program. A representative with Kelly Services is available via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to respond to your questions on how to apply for a substitute position with LEAD Public Schools. Please be sure to specify to Kelly Services that you are requesting to substitute teach for LEAD Public Schools.
You will receive your first paycheck on the pay date following the pay period in which you worked.